Sunday 2 September 2012

50 Shades of the Social Spectrum and the Sunday Scribble

Thought for the day...
Is it just me, or should every invite to a family bash come with a health warning, ear plugs and plastic gloves?

I'm pondering the thought as I'm recovering from a weekend in Leicester, which included a surprise 60th bash for an aunt and a visit to...Beaumont Leys. For those of you unfamiliar with the spectacle - that is Beaumont Leys - it may help you to picture the scene if I give you the name of the area as it is known by the initiated....Beaumont Fleas. I have however, decided to rename it, as the post-title states, as...50 shades of the Social Spectrum and Other Pond Life.

I have never heard such colourful language spoken by parents (with so few teeth and questionable personal hygiene) to their children. The experience, in this out of town metropolis, reminded me why I hadn't visited for so long - in-fact the last time was when my girls were very small (and lacking in judgement); we went shopping, and swimming, at what was then a new and pretty funky leisure centre-it is now referred to as 'the baths'-I'm really not kidding! The very last time we paid to bathe with the locals, one child locked himself in a locker- his mother din't seem to care-and someone had left a well-worn pair of the pants in the shower. I hadn't realised it was a swap and drop centre-so many things could be picked-up for free!!! My visit this weekend has given me a renewed view of North Walsham!

Anyway, social rant and snobbery aside, I promised a spark for a quick write for those who would like to play...I've had a couple of witty emails that would make great reading for all, but it seems shyness stops these writers from posting here and I won't post without your permission - remember...If the 50 Shades of Grey author isn't embarrassed........No more than 100 words on the following :)


1 comment:

Bob Bishop said...

Goodness, Leicester must have gone downhill since I went to University there in the sixties! I remember it as a rather genteel town, surrounded by quaint villages and expensive suburbs.The only Beaumont I knew was Beaumont House, one of our halls of residence.A huge old Victorian property set in manicured grounds. Don't think this can be the same place as your Beaumont Fleas!